Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Let the Donations Begin!

Friends,

The donation site is finally available. It is located here and on the right menu under Donate. I am registered as a "Virtual Rider" for the MS Society's Bike MS. This allows me to offer a secure donation site and the money goes directly to the MS Society.

Why donate? Having multiple sclerosis means that you may suddenly have blurry vision. Or that your memory will fail you for no apparent reason. Or that you may not always be able to walk, let alone ride a bike. The symptoms of MS are different, and devastating, for everyone - the only certainty is that it will affect yet another person every hour of every day.

I am blessed that I can walk, so I choose to use this skill, this very basic and easily underrated skill, to earn money for a good cause. The MS Society uses most of its donations wisely, making sure most of the money goes to the people who need it, and the research that will one day cure MS.

Just walking is never enough to ask for a donation. Starting two years ago, I started a goal, to walk the length of every street in Grand Rapids MI. Each year I walk 100 miles. This year, I will pass the estimated half way point, 300 miles! Up to this point, I have walked the entire northwest side of Grand Rapids and a good portion of the northeast side, with a few streets thrown in around my favorite haunts (Never counting the same bit of street twice).

This is a worthy cause. This is a wacky goal. Please consider donating what you can to help today. From $1 to $100 or more, anything is welcome.

If a donation of money is not enough, please tell your friends! Send an email, spread the word, join me in spirit and walk a mile. Whatever the task, tell others about MS and what they can do to help!

Thanks again for your support. Watch for more news coming soon!

No comments: